Anti ageing skin care for the over 40s

It could be said that our face reveals all that we are. There are many factors that contribute to retaining good looks over 40. However, focused skin care has to be key.

As for skin care we all have our own approaches and this will change for different stages of our life. For the over 40s the main concern for most women is probably anti-aging. There's a mass of products out there, some at exorbitant prices that I find hard to justify. Also, I haven't found any convincing evidence that any of them actually make a significant difference. So, the  good news is you don't need them. It's a myth perpetuated by the multi-million dollar cosmetic industry that you need all these expensive products. Over the years I've found that keeping it pure and simple works  for me. You could even have a go at making your own. Click here for a really useful Neal's Yard Guide.

As for a basic skin care recipe it's worth adopting a few basic principles.
  • Cleanse and tone twice a day -   I use Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and make my own toner/spritzer using orange flower water with essential orange oil and neroli
  • Daily face, hair and foot massage - I use my own aromatherapy blends (see below)
  • Moisturise as required - if you have oily skin this may not be required every day. If you wear make-up on the face  make positive healthy choices about what you wear and how you wear it. By choosing products that are free from cruelty/animal testing and that are ethically produced this will enhance how you feel about yourself and how you engage with the planet. With make-up aim to enhace rather than hide
  • Exfoliate at least once a week - I have used Liz Earle and Aveda products in the past. However, I have recently discovered Kamaan Ayuervedic range of beauty products that I can recommend
  • Have a weekly face pack routine to deep clean the pores. I use a Kama powder blend that I mix with turmeric and yogurt. However, for a fraction of the cost, a few years ago I had a go at making my own face pack using Fuller's Earth, milk and honey
  • When in the sun shade the face and wear a good sunscreen to prevent the harmful effects of UVB rays on the skin
  • Eat a diet rich in anti-oxidants to counter balance the harmful effects of  free radicals
  • Have a good night's sleep
Daily massage routine - a few years ago, when I used Aveda hair and beauty products,  I  came across Aveda Rituals -  one of their iconic beauty books that introduced me to a great daily routine, that I've been doing for a few years now. I start the day with a face, hair and foot massage. It only takes minutes and, even with children to organise, can easily be fitted in before you go to work. I make up my own blend, using a quality base oil such as avocado or almond oil, to which I add anti-ageing essential oils eg lavender,  frankincense, neroli. However, there are many over the counter ready made massage oils that you can buy from places like Neal's Yard. Why not treat yourself to a rose massage oil. Rose oil has great anti-ageing properties and has a divine, uplifting aroma. 

Looking after your skin is as much about loving and respecting yourself as it is about anything else. Make time for this in your every day life and you will reap the rewards.